Monday, 27 February 2012

To tape or not to tape?

WARNING! The following picture of my knees is not for the squeamish, LOL!!!!!

****Please remember that the following was prescribed for my specific knee needs. Don't attempt this on your own without professional assessment and training. Ask your health and wellness  provider if this technique might work for you.

When I went for my muscle imbalance assessment a while ago, one of the first things Steve Georges, my physiotherapist, told me was that he would teach me how to tape my knee to help the kneecap (patella) to track properly. This didn't surprise me. About 35 years ago, my left knee was subjected to a major tendon-transfer operation. Although necessary at the time (I was limping through life with a lot of pain), it never really fully recovered. It was a major operation back then, with a 3-day hospital stay and a Loooooong recovery period, then physio for a long, long while. The atrophe never really disappeared despite exercises. In the following pic of my "lovely" (definitely not) knees, the green arrows show the length of the massive scar, the red dots the width of the scar (including the stretching in the midsection) and the areas of atrophe (pretty obvious even taking into account the foreshortening of the photo). Other smaller scars on the bottom right of that knee are areas where fluid (and hardened matter as well) was removed after a bad healing process and subsequent injury. I have no surface feeling on the outside of that knee. As Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy would say in Star Trek IV when encountering our medical procedures, "My God, what is this - the Dark Ages?".
.


Now for the taping thing. In order to train the patella to track properly and waylay any furhter damage, Steve taught me how to do the McConnell taping technique:


I use considerably less of the brown leukotape, but in three separate strips, with the white Hypafix underneath to protect the skin as shown in the above diagram. I have been using this method for about a month now and have found it to be beneficial on long or strenuous training days. In a future blog I might show how I go about taping my knee for my own individual needs.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - you have to know a lot about the physics of the knee and how it works! When you actually think about it, there is so much that can go wrong or not work as it should on the human body. Glad you are finding the method beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recent physio experience has got me interested in studying anatomy again. Did a brief course back in the 70s as an undergrad art student (we needed it for life drawing) and enjoyed it then. Time to renew my acquaintance with what makes us move!

    ReplyDelete